What does that mean? Well, I am going to attempt to share my Homesteading experience with the world. I am married. We have 4 children. We have a small parcel of land. We want to be as self-sustainable as possible.
No, this is NOT another "Go green! Save the planet!" blog. It's a blog about becoming more frugal and in the process finding that some things are "naturally" cheaper. :)
As a little girl I DREAMED of being Laura Ingalls. (I read all of her books in 4th grade.) As I got older (and wiser) that dream became a little less weird. I dreamed, not of being another person, but of living in a similar manner. No, not bonnets and pigtails. More like grow your own food, build your own house. Anyway, when I was getting ready to marry my hubbs, I discovered that it was his dream to "homestead." [Thank you, wikipedia. I now have a name for what I've been wanting to do my whole life.]
So it was decided that we would try our hand at "small-scale farming." However, up to this point, I also wanted to have a career. hmmmmm.....doesn't seem to fit does it? It was a HUGE struggle to quit my dream job when we had our first baby. And still no "farm." I cried. I yelled. I threw an all-out tantrum. Many. times. over. My hubbs was
We bought a house. It came with land. We had another baby. It seemed grand. We moved to an apartment. (wait? what? where does that fit? --I'll tell you about it sometime.) We waited for our house to sell for 2 years. We moved back. My hubbs tried out for a job 3 states away. They kept us hanging. We didn't get it. We were stuck in our same house with winter coming on and NO garden. We spent a lot of money (that we didn't have) on food for the winter. Spring is coming and We Are Going To Finally Get This Homesteading Thing Up and Runnning!
It's been nearly 7 years, and as many moves. And we've added 2 more children and a puppy to the bunch. But this year begins our ACTUAL homesteading adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment